Need Help!

I took a job in Miami and am about to get an apartment down there. Roughly 280 miles from home. Easy enough to drive back to on the weekends. wants to fly me out to Seattle Washington for a face-to-face interview for a Sr. position and very visible project. This would also increase my salary to over $125K a year. A huge win fall for my family. I want to at least go and see what they have to say and if they make me an offer. The wife says no and to stay the course in Miami.

I understand her reasoning I really do. I’m in the same state. She and the kids can see me every weekend etc. The part thats hard on me is I have no one down there. I’m alone. When I leave my family I cry like a baby after they leave for an hour or two. I question if what I’m doing is worth the hurt that I feel. It really hurts when my 4 year old son asks to go with me. Asks when I’m coming home etc. He’s daddys boy and that just tears me up inside. I’m trying to tell me wife that having this hurt 4 times a month is painful. I would rather go through it twice a month. During the week it doesnt hurt as I’m busy and thinking about work. We talk on the phone but it isnt the feeling of having my heart ripped out of my chest.

The current job is a contract, yet again until the end of the year. The job is perm. The increased salary would also allow us to not only get our selves out of debt but to put something in the bank for when it’s needed. Yes, I would be across the country. But seeing them twice a month wouldn’t hurt so bad. My son as far as I can see is taking the separation from me ok, I was worried about that. I had just spent the last 6 months with him and his 10 month old brother day in and day out. This is harder on me then the rest of the family.

My father in law says that f I have to be away from the family that I should try and make the most of it while I’m gone. I also dont want to be resentful of my wife down the road feeling that she stopped me from at least taking a look and/or an offer if it was presented.

What are your thoughts?

I am going to go to the interview against my wifes wishes. But, I at least have to see what they are willing to say and/or do right?


~ by Frustrated Hubby on April 26, 2009.

2 Responses to “Need Help!”

  1. You have to go and see what they have to offer. How can you turn it down if you don’t have all the info and they haven’t offered it to you. Tell your wife that you need to go and get all of the information before you can both sit down and make the decision together. She may be worried that by going to the interview that you will make your decision and go without her blessing – she should not be worried as you will consider the whole family in what happens next.

    By the way – good luck! Sounds like a great opportunity.

  2. Hard one. I wish the wife supported your decision as opposed to you deciding without her blessing. However, I see your point and I do believe it is a good idea to go and see what they offer you. They’re paying to fly you out there for the interview and worst-case scenario, you say no.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: